This T-Cycle made Battery Mount for ICE Trikes comes with a shelf drilled to allow the mounting of many different batteries. Choosing the BionX or Neodrives option allows us to send along spacers specifically created for the respective system. Other configurations receive more generic spacers and/or zip ties, based on your particular battery.
Batteries are dense and difficult to carry. This mount lets you attach your BionX, Neodrives, or other battery to your ICE trike down low and out of the way. In fact, it lets you put the battery so out of the way that you can fold the trike with the battery attached!
Down low is important for handling and stability—you don't want something as heavy as a battery on top of a rear rack. And out the way means you still get full use of your rear rack if you have one.
If you have been struggling with how to carry your battery, this elegant, simple solution is what you've been looking for!
1. Why do I need a special battery mount?
Batteries are heavy, so it's best to carry them down low and in a place that won't affect handling. A rear rack or seatback bag are not good solutions- the battery is up higher than it should be, and it tends to be awkward when it's time to fold or transport your trike. This mount is designed to have the rigidity to securely hold your battery, while not in any way interfering with your seat, suspension, rear rack, or the ability to fold your trike. An electric drive is a big investment, and how to properly hold the battery is an important consideration. It was not easy to design this mount, there are not a lot of places a battery can go where everything works.
2. How does it attach?
It attaches with a special mount to the fender strut tube on the rigid rear section, along with a stabilizing attachment up at the rack mount. The strut tube is very strong, and is a great place to attach something heavy like a battery. Adjustable to work with or without a rear rack in place.
3. Can I still fold my trike?
Yes, the battery winds up on top, just ahead of the rear hinge.
4. Is it strong enough?
My battery is pretty heavy. Yes, the attachment mechanism and the mount itself are designed to carry batteries weighing up to 20 lbs (9kg).
5. Does this work with both 20 and 26 inch rigid rear sections?
Yes, there are two slots at the top of the vertical plate. One lines up with the rack mount on a 20 inch rear section, and the other slot lines up with the rack mount on the 26 inch rear section.
6. Is ICE OK with this?
This mount is the result of extensive thought and prototyping involving ICE and Icletta, our EU distributor and the ICE distributor for Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. This mount has been in use in Europe for 1 year; we haven't introduced it more broadly until now because we have been production capacity limited
Attachment is straightforward and only takes a few minutes. The first step is to attach the main support arm to the fender strut Delrin shims are provided for clearance.
The main support arm attaches on the right (drivetrain) side of the trike underneath the power side chain tube.
Rotate the plate so the slot at the top lines up with the rack attachment point (there are two slots, one for 20 inch and one for 26 inch). If you have a rear rack, slide the vertical plate out so it lines up with the outside of the rack.
Attach your battery. The mount comes drilled and tapped for Ansmann or BionX batteries, and you can easily adapt other battery systems. Batteries designed to be strapped to a rack can be strapped to the shelf and/or the vertical plate. The shelf and plate are designed to be drilled for additional mounting holes if needed.
- We originally developed this mount at the request of Icletta, our EU distributor. They are also thte ICE distributor for Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Electric bikes and trikes are very big in Europe, and Icletta wanted a first class way to hold the battery. We consulted with ICE and Icletta as the development progressed.
- The design goals for this mount were:
- 1. Allow the battery to be firmly held down as low as possible, so handling would not be affected.
- 2. Position the battery and mount so they would not interfere with the fold in any way, and
- 3. Allow the attachment of a wide range of battery types, with specific versions for the BionX, Ansmann, and Falco batteries
- We are quite happy to say we succeeded very well on all counts. The battery is in a great place, it's under the seat and tucked away, and doesn't interfere with seatback bags or things on the rear rack. Folding is unaffected, and the battery winds up in a convenient spot after the fold. And, the design very simply provides for mounting all kinds of batteries, including very heavy ones.
- All parts machined from 6061-T6 aluminum and black anodized. All fasteners are stainless steel.
- The primary attachment is to the fender strut tube. A pair of clamps attach another sideways tube. A mounting plate goes up from outside the chain up to the rear rack attachment point. A shelf attaches the the bottom of the mounting plate to hold the battery. The shelf is drilled and tapped to accept the BionX downtube mounting rail, but other batteries can be easily mounted. The Ansmann battery system is designed to attach to a vertical plate, so it doesn't need the shelf at all. Batteries in nylon packs can be strapped to the shelf and to the vertical plate.
- We also make adapter plates for the BionX Type R (rear rack) and Falco batteries, since they have such different mountings.
- The battery Shelf is 6 x 3.25in (15.25 x 8.25cm) and has 15 M5x0.8 threaded holes for attaching batteries or battery adapter plates. 13 of the holes are in 2 rows with bottle boss spacing used by many batteries.
- Mounting hardware are provided for the rear rack attachment point for trikes with and without a rear rack.
- Both the vertical plate and the shelf are made from 1/4 inch (6.35mm) thick aluminum. This means it is both very sturdy and easily drilled to modify needed for your particular battery system.
- Compatible with all rigid ICE trikes from 2010 onwards. We make a different kit for the suspended trikes. Earlier rigid trikes may work, but we haven't had a chance to test them. This mount is very specific to the ICE trikes, so it won't work with other brands. We have a Universal Battery Mount that works on nearly all trikes, but doesn't work with the fold on an ICE trike like this ICE specific mount does.