One of the great things about triking is how nice it is to have everything right at hand as you roll along. With a SeatSide mount, you can have all sorts of things close at hand. The Terratrike SeatSide Mount lets you carry bags, water bottles, cameras, all sorts of things, right by your side. Snacks, phones, lip balm, you name it, now you can keep it all within reach while riding. This version of the SeatSide Mount for Terratrikes attaches to the bottom of the seat frame. We make other versions that attach to the main frame tube. We recommend this version of the mount for people that simply want a good sturdy place to mount things beside the seat. If have a 3.X, Tour, Tour II. etc. with the seat more than half way forward, or if you want maximum versatility in where things are located, or need quick on/off removability, check out the main frame mounted version. On the 3.X and Tour, the handlebars come in right to the side of the seat when the seat is in the forward half of it's range, so we recommend the frame mount version for those trikes when the seat is forward. All other trikes, and 3.X/Tour trikes with the seat in the back half of their adjustment range, can use the mount shown here.
1. How does it work?
Specially machined clamps attach to the lower seat frame, on the straight part between the main tube and where it bends up. A support tube comes out sideways and up from the seat frame clamps. The end of the support tube has a T-clamp that holds a horizontal accessory mounting tube. The accessory mounting tube is long enough to hold whatever you'd like.
2. I've seen ICE trikes with something similar. Is this like that?
The stock ICE side mount is vaguely similar, but it has a smaller accessory mounting area than the ones we make and is only adjustable left/right. On our mounts, everything is clamped, not welded, so you can adjust things up/down, left/right, and forward/back. The space provided to mount accessories is about 3 times as long. If you want to really customize it, you can shorten any of the tubes, or even substitute another of a different size. We make a version for ICE trikes, too, of course, in which case the mounts would be very similar. On the ICE trikes, the tube that you attach to is behind the seat, rather than under the seat, so how you get from there out to the side of the seat is a little different.
3. Which side does it go on?
Either, or both, it's up to you.
4. Will this work with any bag?
Yes, the tube where the accessories mount is 7/8in (22.2mm) diameter, so pretty much anything designed to mount to a bike or to handlebars can attach there.
5. What can you put on it?
Anything that you can attach to a standard 7/8in (22.2mm, standard handlebar size) tube. Handlebar bags, water bottles, phones, things like that. The supplied accessory mounting tube is 11 inches (28cm) long, so you have lots of room. We have longer tubes if you really want to go crazy.
6. How much weight can it hold?
A lot, but obviously it has it's limits. We're saying 10lbs (4.5kg) to be on the safe side. We do recommend that if you want to carry living things (like pets) that you do so carefully.
Installation is straightforward.
- First, you attach the clamps to the seat frame under the seat.
- Next, you assemble the accessory mounting tube to the T-clamp on the support tube.
- You then slide the support arm into the clamps under the seat and adjust the system to the left/right, up/down, and forward/back position you'd like.
- You're ready to install your accessories!
- We include a user installed catchpost in case you want to use a handlebar bag that is designed to index to the handlebar stem on an upright bike. Some handlebar bags have a cable or an arm that is designed to catch on a handlebar stem to keep the bag from rotating down. The catchpost provides a place for that to connect.
- We make a lot of tubes and clamps that are compatible with this system if you need to do customizations. Check out the SeatSide Mount Hardware and Cockpit Mount Hardware pages for more information.
- Clamps are CNC machined aluminum, anodized black, with all stainless fasteners. Tubes are black powder coated aluminum with removable black end caps.
- Fits all Terratrikes except the Edge. If you have an Edge, we have another solution for you.