An extended version of the Double-Ended Cockpit Mount, this clamp reaches places that no Double-Ended Cockpit Mount has ever reached before, while sharing all of the same qualities that we know and love. This clamp measures 5" from the center of one clamping section to the center of the other clamping section.
An essential building block in the Cockpit Mount family is the Double-Ended Cockpit Mount Clamp. The open-ended, two-screw setup means that installation is a breeze, because you don't have to remove other things from your tube. The high surface area of the Double-Ended Cockpit Mount Clamp's grip securely clamps into place, holding any accessories or mounts wherever you want them to be.
1. What an odd shaped clamp. How does it work?
This clamp is designed to be a low clearance, medium duty clamp that's easy to install. That's why the ends are open- it gives you more room to get up close to things, and it makes it easier to install the clamp. The sides just pop apart and you put the clamp where you want. Usually, all you have to do is remove one bolt and loosen the other to wrap the clamp around a tube.
2. What can I hold with it?
Any round, straight tube that is the right diameter. We an ever-growing library of clamp sizes. It's important the tube is straight for the 1/2 inch (12.7mm) where the clamp is attached. The tube can curve around in other places, but where the clamp is attached needs to be straight.
3. How strong it it?
Pretty strong, we call it medium strength. It's designed for versatility and ease of installation more than maximum strength. It's designed to hold light accessories (under 2 lbs, 1kg or so). It definitely not designed for attaching critical things like steering components, heavy accessories, or exit assist handles. What it can handle strongly depends on the amount of leverage you put on it of course, so the overall design matters a lot. It is possible to boost the strength considerably by using a pair of clamps spaced apart from one another, we do that on some of the SeatSide Mounts.
4. Can I use it on things that aren't the "proper" size?
Unfortunately, no. For the clamp to grip well, it needs to be gripping something that is round, straight, and the rated size. Fortunately, that is usually possible.
- Clamp measures 5" from the center of one clamp to the other.
- Machined from 6061 aluminum, anodized black. Available in two sizes, be sure to use clamps sized exactly for the tubing you wish to clamp.
- 7/8" (22.2mm) to 7/8" (22.2mm) clamp weighs 112 grams. 1" (25.4mm) to 7/8" (22.2mm) clamp weighs 104 grams. Anodized black coating, stainless steel hardware.
- There are three basic ways to install a clamp, depending on the tube it is going on. The first is to loosen the bolts and slide the clamp over the tube(s). If there are obstacles on one of the tubes, you'll need to remove one bolt, loosen the other, swivel the clamp open, and put it over the tube. If both tubes have obstacles, simply remove both bolts, put the halves of the clamp around the tubes, and reinstall the bolts.
- Fits many places where you would like to clamp two tubes so they are parallel to each other.