Double Wide Direct Attach Battery Mount (For Some Bikes & Trikes)
If you need to carry two batteries, and you have the right place to attach this on your bike or trike, this Double Wide Direct Attach Battery Mount is the way to go.
Electric drives on bikes and trikes are great for transportation and for enabling anyone to get out and ride, but until now, most people have had to hodgepodge together a way to carry the battery. Batteries are big, dense and valuable, and you don't want to just stick them anywhere. Carrying two is often difficult. Introducing T-Cycle's Double Wide Direct Attach Battery Mount, for those situations where a simple double wide mount will do.
1. What does this do?
This mount allows you to attach two batteries on both sides of a main tube, or on both sides of a pair of twin tubes. It's that simple.
2. Where does it go?
It depends on the bike or trike, but usually on the main tube just behind and under the seat. You need room for the batteries and about 2.5in of straight tube to clamp to. It very much depends on the bike or trike and the batteries you want to mount. We make other Battery Mounts that are much more versatile, this one is a simple solution for two batteries for the cases when that works.
3. What kind of batteries can I put on it?
Most commonly available batteries. The battery shelf is drilled and tapped for the common batteries, like the Lunacycles, Shark, Hailong, Falco, etc. that use standard bottle boss spacing. There are six pairs of staggered holes on each side of the plate.
4. What size do I need?
We machine clamps to exactly match the size of your main frame tube, so the size needs to be exact. When you tell us the make and model of your trike, we can pick the right clamps for you. If you have a twin lower tube bike like an Easy Racers or Rans Screamer, we provide clamp bars that span the tubes.
5. What is the standoff distance of the plate from the tube?
For monotube applications, we provide 33mm (1.32in) spacers to either lift the plate above the tube or to hang the plate below the tube. Most people hang the plate below the tube to get more clearance under the seat. Chain clearance is usually better that way too.
6. What about unusual batteries?
This mount is designed to be simple and doesn't support flat rear rack style batteries like the BionX, Falco, and Shimano rear rack batteries, or the Shimano Steps batteries. Again, our Fully Configurable can do all of those.
The mount consists of a two heavy duty clamps that attach to the frame, and a battery shelf that attaches to the clamps. The frame clamps are sized specifically to your trike. The plate can be attached in 3 different positions on the clamp depending on what is needed for your bike or trike. The clamp can be rotated around the frame and the plate can be flipped end to end. The combination of adjustments is limited compared to our Fully Configurable mount, but if you have the room for a battery along your frame, this mount can hold it there.
- First, hold the batteries in the area where you would like it to go to get an idea of where the shelf and frame clamp need to be.
- Remove the clamp arch, hold the clamp against the frame, and reinstall the arch.
- Be sure to route any cables over the clamps, so they don't get pinched.
- Attach the plate as needed.
- Once the plate is attached and aligning the clamps, tighten the clamps.
- Attach your battery to the shelf with 5mm bolts (the bolts needed should come with the battery). That's it!
- Frame clamps are available in all common round main tube sizes: 1.125, 1.25, 1.375, 1.5, 1.625, 1.75, and 2.0 inches; and 40, 50, 54, and 60mm. We can often shim to other sizes, email for more information on that. Shims usually run $12-$15.
- The frame clamps require a 2.5 inches (63mm) of straight, round, obstacle free main tube. Cables passing by is OK, but it's important there is nothing welded onto the frame right where the clamps might need to go. If you have any questions, you can email us a photo of your frame and we can determine what locations would work.
- Mounts are machined from 6061-T6 aluminum and black anodized. Frame clamps are 5/8 inch (16mm) wide. The frame clamping bolts are M6 stainless steel, so they are able to support batteries up to about 15 lbs (6.8Kg). Battery mounting holes are M5x0.8, threaded through 0.25 inches (6.35mm) mounting plate.
- The battery Shelf is 4.0in x 11.8in (10cm x 30cm) and has 24 M5x0.8 threaded holes for attaching batteries. The holes are in 6 rows, 3 on each side.
- Recommended maximum battery weight is 15 lbs (6.8Kg). These mounts are very stout and can probably handle more, but due to the wide range of conditions out there, we rate them for 15lbs, which is actually a lot of battery.
- The Frame Clamps are made in a variety of sizes for almost every tube used on recumbent bikes and trikes, so it is usually possible to install this mount on many trikes as well as some bikes. The mount can go on the top or the bottom, depending on your needs.