Note: Cockpit Mounts are plenty strong for holding accessories, but they are NOT strong enough to serve as an exit assist.
The Cockpit Mount with Horizontal Attachment allows you to position cockpit mounts anywhere and everywhere on a steering arm. With two Double-Ended Clamps, a 90-Degree Elbow Tube, and a 5" x 9" Asymmetric T-Bar, forward/backward, left/right, and up/down transform from obstacles to options! Made for attachment to horizontal direct steer tubes (like Catrike), the Cockpit Mount with Horizontal Attachment lets you put everything in the ideal position. For you BROLers out there, check out Bryan Ball's opinion by clicking here.
Note that Cockpit Mounts are designed for mounting accessories like computers, phones, lights, mirrors, and GPSs. They are not designed to be an exit assist grip. They are strong, but not that strong! If you need an exit assist grip, you will need something designed for that purpose.
1. What is this exactly?
Cockpit Mounts have 7/8 inch (22.2mm) diameter tubes that are designed to be attached on or around your handlebars to put things like computers, phones, and GPSs where you can reach them and more easily see them. 7/8 inch is the standard handlebar size, so things made to go on handlebars will go right on a Cockpit Mount. The Cockpit Mount system is based on a versatile set of clamps and articulating links. They are designed to be very adjustable and to work around objects that might be in the way. The top of the Cockpit Mount where you put your accessories is a generous 5 inches (12.5cm) wide- room for all sorts of things.
2. How do you install it?
Special clamps make everything easy. First, you decide where you'd like your accessories to be. Then, you adjust the mounting system to hold things there. The clamps are designed to attach to round tubes that are either 7/8 inch or 1 inch in diameter (be sure to check this option). This version of the kit, the Horizontal Mount Cockpit Mount, is made to attach to a horizontal tube, as is found on direct steer recumbent trikes like Catrike and Actionbent. We make a another version designed to be attached to vertically oriented tubes (a very common choice). The clamps are designed so they open up and clamp around whatever spot you have open. There is no need to remove anything that is already on your handlebars or whatever tube you are attaching to.
3. How strong are they?
What can you put on them? Strong. You could probably pick your bike up with them. The real question is "What can I put on them?". The answer is "All sorts of things!". They can easily take a GPS, a phone, a mirror, even water bottles. There is enough room you can usually get two or three things on them if you wish.
4. What size range of tube can I attach to?
We make clamps for attaching to either 1 inch 7/8 inch tubes. Catrikes have 1 inch horizontal direct steer tubes. Actionbent uses 7/8 inch horizontal tubes.
5. Can I attach to things that are not round?
Unfortunately, no. It's important that the tube you attach to is straight and round where the clamp attaches. The clamp is 1/2 inch (12m) wide, so this is usually pretty easy to do.
6. Can I get a wider tube at the top?
I want to attach lots of stuff. The T shaped mounting tube has a 5 inch side and a 9 inch (23cm) side. You are free to use either part of the T. The T is asymmetric, so you can reverse it if you want to move things in or out.
7. Can I mount a mirror?
Yes, easily. The tubing is 7/8 inch, the standard handlebar size, so regular mirrors fit inside or outside the mount. Cockpit Mounts make great places to put mirrors, because you can get the mirror out past your body and more easily see behind you.
8. Can I use it as an exit assist?
Unfortunately, no. Cockpit Mounts are designed for mounting accessories like computers, phones, lights, mirrors, and GPSs. They are not designed to be an exit assist grip. They are strong, but not that strong! If you need an exit assist grip, you will need something designed for that purpose.
- Hold things like cycle computers, mirrors, GPS units, cameras, and phones close at hand, right where you want them.
- 5in (125mm) wide T-Bar for accessories
- Unique articulated mounting system lets you work around obstacles and put things right where you want them.
- Quick attach open ended mounts- no need to slide on past anything, so there's no need to remove anything first.
- Super stiff for extra stability- great for mirrors and cameras.
- A special double ended clamp attaches to an existing tube, often your handlebars, but in this case, your direct steer horizontal tube. Since the clamp is open ended, it’s easy to install, even with everything else already there. Another double ended clamp holds a T bar for your accessories. The two clamps are joined in the middle by a third L shaped tube. The third tube in the middle lets you articulate the mount, much like your elbow allows you to move your arm in and out and swing it around.
- You simply install the mount, move things around to where they need to be, and lock the clamps. The clamps lock tight enough you can easily pick up your bike or trike by the T bar.
- Cockpit Mounts are available as kits and as individual pieces. We are starting out with two kits, one that's a Indirect Steer Horizontal Attach Kit designed for Catrikes and other Direct steered trikes. In individual parts, there are two types of clamps, two types of articulation tubes, and a T bar that’s asymmetric to maximize positioning options. We will be introducing additional clamps and other system parts in the coming months. The idea is to create a versatile, mix and match system for attaching whatever you need, wherever you need.
- This Cockpit Mount Kit is designed to attach to a 1.0in (25.4mm) Horizontal Tube, as found on Catrikes, or a 7/8 tube, as found on some other direct steered trikes.
- A 90 degree elbow tube allows you to rotate the attachment clamp up or down on the horizontal steering arm. The 5in (125mm) wide T Bar attaches to the other side of the elbow tube. You can rotate the T Bar around on the vertical part of the elbow in order to move the T bar in and out.
- You can position the Cockpit mount anywhere forward and back on the steering arm that you would like. Most people like their Cockpit Mount either close to their controls or further forward near the head tube. When the T Bar is close to the head tube, it will only move in a small arc as you steer. This is a good place for a mirror, because the mirror won't move very much as you turn.
- By putting the right amount of tension on the clamps, you'll find it's very easy to move things around and find the ideal position for everything. Once you've determined your ideal position, just tighten the clamps to lock everything in place.
- The T Bar is 7/8in diameter, so anything that's made to attach to a handlebar will be happy there. To attach a mirror inside the T Bar, simply remove one end cap and install the mirror as if it were on the end of a regular handlebar.
- If you have a direct steered trike with a less than 1 inch horizontal steering arm (early Actionbent, for example), we can substitute a 7/8in (22.2mm) clamp. At the current time, we only have clamps for 1.0in or 7/8in tubes.
- The clamps are machined from 6061-T6 Aluminum and black anodized. The tubes are 6061-T6 seamless aluminum, welded and powder coated.
- Note that while Cockpit Mounts are plenty strong for holding accessories, they are not strong enough to serve as an exit assist.
- Weight: 200grams
- This horizontally attaching version of the Cockpit Mount system is usually used with direct steer recumbent trikes, but there are lots of other places it will work. We make a different version for attaching to vertically oriented tubes, intended for the upward portions of recumbent underseat handlebars.
I'm using it to mount my cane. Works great.
The accessory mount took about 5 minutes to install. It was easy to adjust to fit just perfectly. After 2 minutes of test riding, I realized it wasn't perfect and was able to adjust it in about 30 seconds. Great quality, and does exactly what it's supposed to.